The OFFICIAL site of
"THE TRUMPET"- Jazz Venue
Please be aware that payment for drinks and snacks is cash only, we do not have contactless payment at the pub. Numerous ATM's can be found up and down Bilston high street, if required.
We are receiving some comments on social media, from non-regular, but very welcome guests which mention a surprise and a reluctance to contribute to the tray and raffle during the performances of the attending bands.
If it’s your first visit, please bear in mind a few points regarding the collection tray:
1. The Trumpet is a single-room public house, and as such, we cannot charge an entrance fee due to this fact; otherwise it cannot be classed as a “public” house.
2. For decades, The Trumpet has put on entertainment 7 nights a week, plus Sunday lunch, by a huge number of artists, all of which must be paid. The takings behind the bar are not enough to subsidise this, as well as paying the brewery and all of our other overheads that come with running a venue.
3. The tradition of passing around the tray has been around since live jazz started at The Trumpet and is unconditionally accepted by our regulars. If it was not for this tradition, we would not be able to host so much entertainment for you guys. Where else can you go to be entertained by top class musicians for the price of an extra pint or two? Please understand, that when you are approached for a donation, your contribution will be towards the continuation of this institution. The pub is small, and with social distancing now in place, it is getting smaller. You only have to read the history of The Trumpet (found on our website), to see how long this tradition has been going. https://www.thetrumpet-bilston.com/history. The addition of the raffle is an extra attempt to boost “the pot” for the entertainment, and not a penny of these donations go anywhere except towards the payment of the bands.
4. Social media is a sign of the times, and is a huge sounding board for The Trumpet, we have had a very positive response via this medium which has boosted our attendances and encouraged more newcomers to our corner of the world. The feedback from the management regarding the cautious re-opening of the pub, after lockdown, was very positive, and if it wasn't for social media and the internet, it would not have been so.
5. The management are doing their best and work very hard to keep this pub and live music venue going on a small budget to provide the same amount of entertainment that has been provided for many years. Any frustration shown, is merely due to a willingness to keep this tradition and venue going.
6. We hope this message is passed on, and we receive no more negative feedback on what is, in effect, our means of supplying you a first class music venue which will soon be available, again, every day of the week.
With kind regards,
The Trumpet Management
Friday 29th October
Fish and Chip Supper & Jazz
Eleanor Mills Trio
Doors open at 7.30pm
Please order Fish & Chips at the bar before 8.30pm
All Hallows Eve Celebrations with
John Evans Trio @ The Trumpet
Saturday 30th October 8.30pm
Prize for the best dressed !